The Mind – How Thoughts Affect the Environment
Human beings have 50.000-70.000 thoughts a day, and 90% of these thoughts are the same as the day before. When we think the same thoughts day after day, we generate the same emotions, make the same decisions and act the same way. This means that we are creating the same experiences, reinforced by the same conditioned behaviours that bring about the same results. If we continue to repeat this cycle, we’ll be inadvertently keeping new experiences out of our lives; and as such, we won’t progress or evolve. Our reality - and ultimately our lives - will stay as it is now.
The subconscious mind controls 95% of our behaviours and emotional responses, leaving only 5% for our conscious mind, which is responsible for our will, logic, reasoning, creativity and intentions. This is why conscious goal-setting and willpower fail as often as they do because we are trying to fight 95% of our subconscious programming with 5% of our conscious mind.
The subconscious mind also has a vast information processing power, much larger than that of the conscious mind; so you can see that your power lies in understanding your subconscious mind. In order to change your reality, you need to grow aware of your subconscious thoughts, emotions and behaviours that you present each day.
The reason you don't yet have what you want is because you are only consciously focusing on your wishes and desires with 5% of your mind, and the rest (95%) is occupied by your subconscious beliefs and behaviours, which don’t often support your conscious desires. This is the most difficult part. We are quite good at setting conscious goals, and even making the “necessary” steps to what we think will bring us results, only to find that all our conscious efforts weren't enough. Why not? It is because our conscious desires are not fully aligned with our subconscious thoughts, habits and behaviours.
It's also important to realise the difference between knowledge and experience. Learning about something is not enough. Knowledge only satisfies our mind, but our body learns through experience. You can intellectually understand something, but that information is only beneficial if you start applying it to your life.
Most of us live in a state of survival where the body runs on unconscious patterns most of the time; thinking the same thoughts, reacting with the same emotions and making the same decisions. Some may think this is all we are, but that is most certainly not the case. In order to experience a different reality, we need to start actively participating in our lives by co-creating our experiences.
Look at your environment as an extension of your mind. What do you see around you? What's your environment like? Who are the people you surround yourself with? And most importantly - Do you like what you see? Are you happy? Does your environment reflect your inner desires and the quality of who you are? If not, you can change it! We can all change our external environment. When you re-align with who you truly are, your external reality will rearrange itself to reflect this back at you.
Your ego is an individual perspective that is expressed through your thoughts. It is part of the collective consciousness, but it considers itself separate from it. The ego believes in its separate identity, and its main focus is on self-preservation and survival. Once you purify your ego-mind, you will be able to see its connectedness with everything else in existence.
“In separateness lies the world's great misery; in compassion lies the world's true strength.” - Buddha
Your mind isn't an enemy. If you treat it that way, it will only breed resistance and create a war within you. Don't take every thought too seriously, your aim is to work with your mind instead of fighting it.
Your mind is a tool. It is up to you how you use it. Give it too much power and it will run your life. Understand and embrace it – and it will become your greatest friend and supporter.